PCA Services

What are Personal Care Assistants (PCAs)?
  • PCAs are individuals that are trained by qualified agencies to help consumers with their Activities of Daily Living; including but not limited to transferring, getting out of bed, eating, toileting, bathing, grooming, dressing, etc..
  • Under the direction of a licensed health care provider; PCAs follow a specific plan of care assessed by a qualified agency and authorized by the consumer’s physician.
  • PCAs will observe, redirect, and document changes in the health and behavior of a consumer.
  • PCAs can help manage consumers finances, shop for food and living essentials, household chores, participating in community events, etc..

Who can be a Personal Care Assistant?
  • An individual that has been hired and trained by a qualified home health care agency.
  • A PCA can be a family member or friend of the consumer, but must complete necessary background and hiring process of qualified agencies.
How do people pay for Personal Care Assistants?
  • State funded Medicaid and Waiver Programs: Minnesota
  • Private pay (agency rates will vary)
  • Private Insurance (namely Medicaid backed plans)
  • Long term Care Insurance
  • Disease Management Groups, e.g., ALS Association, United Cerebral Palsy Association
How do you find an agency that provides PCA Services?
  • Contact your county public health nurse to get a list of qualified providers in your area and find out if you qualify for services.
  • Talk with Care Managers, Social Workers, Nursing Supervisors, Discharge Planners, or Doctors and Nurses at healthcare facilities.
  • Contact a home care agency directly.
  • Search the internet for agencies servicing your geographical area.
  • Ask people at Health Care related Support Groups.
  • Ask professionals at Disease Management Groups, e.g., Alzheimer’s Association.
  • Talk with family and friends who have used home care services before.
To find out if you qualify, contact our Customer Service Department today 6123314510.